- IMS Health advances its cloud-based CRM and closed loop marketing capabilities with the acquisition of 360 Vantage, an Arizona-based provider of SaaS solutions for life sciences and healthcare organizations.
- IMS Health acquires Semantelli, a U.S.-based social media analytics company, extending its marketing and consumer engagement capabilities.
- IMS Health expands its commercial services with the acquisition of Appature, a SaaS firm based in Seattle that provides clients with a cloud-based, multi-channel relationship marketing platform.
- The IMS Institute for Healthcare Informatics launches a branch in India, delivering objective insights and research to advance the country’s healthcare agenda.
- IMS Health acquires PharmARC, a Bangalore-based analytic services company, building on its commercial analytics and services capabilities.
- DecisionView, a software solutions company that helps life sciences organizations plan and track patient enrollment for clinical trials, is acquired. The acquisition of TTC further strengthens IMS Health's Pharma R&D services capabilities.
- IMS Consulting Group is rated #2 in Vault’s "Pharmaceutical & Healthcare Consulting Companies" 2012 rankings.
- IMS Health expands its specialty and anonymized patient-level data assets in the U.S. with the acquisition of SDI Health. The company also acquires Ardentia Ltd in the U.K. and Med-Vantage in the U.S. to build on its payer services capabilities.
- IMS Health is taken private by TPG Capital, CPP Investment Board and Leonard Green & Partners. At the time of the transaction, the deal — valued at close to $6 billion — is the largest leveraged buyout transaction closed in the prior three years.
- The Canadian business unit of IMS Health acquires Brogan, Inc., a privately held market research and consulting firm serving the Canada healthcare market.
- IMS Health is named to the Dow Jones Sustainability North America Index in recognition of the company’s economic, environmental and social performance among the largest 600 North American companies.
- IMS Health acquires RMBC, a leading provider of national pharmaceutical market intelligence and analytics in Russia.
- IMS Health is named to the World’s Most Admired Companies list, the definitive report card on corporate reputations, by FORTUNE magazine. The company receives the recognition again in 2010.
- IMS Health acquires IHS and MedInitiatives, providers of analytics and technology services to streamline and enhance healthcare data management initiatives. The acquisition strengthens the company’s managed markets services and expands its capabilities for payers.
- IMS Health acquires ValueMedics Research, a healthcare research and consulting firm, extending the company’s health economics and outcomes research capabilities.
- IMS Health acquires the Life Sciences practice of Strategic Decisions Group, a leader in portfolio strategy consulting to the pharmaceutical and biotech industries.
- IMS Health acquires PharMetrics, a U.S. provider of patient-centric integrated claims data, enabling IMS to offer integrated pharmaceutical, medical and hospital insights to manage the delivery of quality, cost-effective healthcare.
- IMS Health launches new consulting capabilities in health economics and outcomes research, providing clients with evidence-based insights into the cost, value and anticipated consequences of therapies and treatment options.
- IMS Health acquires United Research China Shanghai, a company offering comprehensive coverage of China’s over-the-counter market, as well as Consumer Health consulting services.
- IMS Health acquires Marketing Initiatives, a specialist in healthcare facility profile data, and Data Niche Associates, a provider of rebate validation services for Medicaid and managed care.
- IMS Health expands its consulting operations with the acquisition of Cambridge Pharma Consultancy, a U.K.-based pharmaceutical consulting and advisory firm.
- IMS Health becomes an independent, NYSE-listed public company.
- The Dun & Bradstreet Corporation (D&B) separates its operations, creating Cognizant Corporation as the parent company of IMS Health, Nielsen Media Research and Gartner Group.
- D&B acquires Sales Technologies, which collaborates with IMS Health to market laptop-based sales management service tools for pharmaceutical sales representatives in the U.S. and Europe.
- D&B acquires IMS Health for nearly $1.7 billion.
- Throughout the 1980s, IMS Health develops a series of online services to automate reporting of pharmaceutical sales and enhance knowledge sharing, including Pharmaceutical Sales Audits, Sales Territory Reports and Call Reporting.
- IMS Health introduces the Multinational Integrated Data Analysis (MIDAS) system, enabling customers to access and analyze multi-country databases from computer terminals installed in their offices. An indispensable source of healthcare insights, MIDAS includes drug and ingredient purchases by pharmacies and hospitals and expenditures on advertising and product promotions.
- IMS Health acquires Medifrance, publisher of physicians’ prescription pads with pharmaceutical advertising.
- Medical Communications and Life Sciences divisions are established to complement IMS Health’s market research activities. Medical Communications publishes informational materials, including professional and trade journals. IMS Health forms the Life Sciences division by acquiring Biodynamics, Inc., which conducts toxicology testing of chemicals and pharmaceuticals.
- IMS Health acquires Armbruster, Moore and MacKerell, originator of the Hospital Supply Index and Laboratory Diagnostic Audits.
- IMS Health acquires Pharmatech, developer of an early online delivery system.
- IMS Health acquires Cambridge Computer, creator of Drug Distribution Data (DDD), the basis for sales territory reports.
- IMS Health becomes a public company.
- IMS Health acquires Lea Associates, publishers of the first National Disease and Therapeutic Index.
- IMS Health operations expand to Latin America with the acquisition of a regional sales audit company.
- IMS Health becomes the gold standard in pharmaceutical market research in Europe and Asia.
- IMS Health enters the North American market with the acquisition of Davee, Koehnlein and Keating (DKK), a Chicago-based firm providing pharmaceutical sales audits in the U.S. and Canada.
- IMS Health publishes its first European syndicated research study, an audit of pharmaceutical sales in West Germany. The utility and popularity of the audit prompts IMS to conduct similar studies in Great Britain, France, Italy and Japan. Acquisitions in South Africa, Australia and New Zealand further strengthen IMS Health’s global position.
- Bill Frohlich, an advertising executive, and David Dubow, a visionary, form IMS, a market research company that enables organizations to make informed, strategic decisions about the marketplace.